Friday, March 8, 2019

1876 Centennial Quilt Project-Part I





My first article about the 1876 Centennial Quilt Project that I helped launch the summer of  2015 appeared in the local newspaper in the San Juan Islands, Washington, April 22, 2017. 

Almost four years after discovering this amazing quilt, the story now contains many more chapters. Though I have posted on Facebook from time to time over the past two years, I have decided to use my blog to finally chronicle the fuller extent of this wonderful experience and  journey. 

The above poster announced our first public sharing of the project that took place on Lopez Island, WA where we two co-founders of the project, Anne Dawson and Karen Alexander, reside. Our "works-in-progress" exhibit reflected our desire to show our fellow islanders what was involved in the making of such a complex quilt. 


1876 Centennial Quilt Unveiled 
by Karen B. Alexander
(Updated version)


“What is it about quilts with you quilt historians?” is a question I hear frequently.

Among the many answers to the question – why I study quilts – is that quilt history is a natural vehicle for a wide-range of learning in the fields of social history, women’s history and textile manufacturing history, to name a few. Sadly, most quilts lose their maker’s story over the generations, especially once the quilt leaves the family. But sometimes, these lost quilts are rediscovered.

In May of 2015, I discovered a quilt which contained over 70 different patterns set in a medallion-style arrangement. It contained the date 1876 and the initials EMC in four separate large circles.

The quilt was simply stunning. I knew I had to share the image of this quilt with the members of my bee, the Ladies of Tuesday Night. I did not tell the group what I hoped, i.e. that they would help persuade Anne Dawson, owner of our little island’s quilt shop The Quilter’s Studio, to draft the 70+ patterns. I waited to see their reactions first. But sure enough, several responded with the same joyful exclamation: “I want to make this quilt! Let’s ask Anne if she will draft it for us.” Exactly what I had hoped to hear!

Only Anne can tell the full story of what she went through wrestling with herself over whether or not to take on this enormous challenge, but eventually she said yes. The next step was to ask the owner of the quilt, Barbara Menasian of Connecticut, if she would allow us to pattern it.  Many emails flew back and forth over a period of several weeks but suddenly, one day, our 1876 project was a go! Barbara had said yes!

All the block patterns in this quilt have been around for well over 100 years. However, it is the “arrangement” of the blocks in this quilt that is so unique and so exacting. Originally Anne thought only six to eight quilters might enroll in her class. But what a response! 17 from the San Juan Islands, Bellingham and Seattle signed up including the Connecticut owner, who decided to join us —by correspondence— and finally learn how to quilt herself.

The journey has been challenging for all, not the least for Barbara Gonce of Lopez Island, the oldest member of our project. Barbara G. eventually made four versions of the quilt to showcase how changing fabric styles and colors affects the overall appearance of this quilt. Meanwhile, I struggled to get one quilt made!

We still have many questions to solve. We know nothing more about the original maker, other than her initials – EMC.  Did she make the quilt in Connecticut where it was found? We think so. At least two are working to track her down.

Our works-in-progress exhibit took place May 6, 2017, at Woodmen Hall, on Fishermen Bay Rd. EMC was even present for Barbara Menasian had flown in from Connecticut with it in her arms for this very special unveiling.  The very first official public viewing of all 23 finished quilts in the pilot project took place in November 2018.  But, whoops, I'm jumping too far ahead too fast! The telling of that exciting adventure is another story for another day.




This was the state of my quilt in May 2017.



Above is the state of progress for several other versions of the quilt.


Eventually I would name my quilt "Perseverance".  That's what it took for me to finally finish it.  


Karen B. Alexander standing in front of "Perseverance" 
at the Houston International Quilt Festival November 2018


I'll write more about our experiences as I relive this journey with you via my blog posts.  
Thank you for sharing this journey with us by reading our story!

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing quilt and what an amazing undertaking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a marvelous, though occasionally frustrating journey! Mostly, I value the amazing women that I got to know. I think that my grandmother would appreciate her part in “her” quilt. Thanks for your hard work on this amazing project❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of all of your for taking on this spectacular project. I wish I had seen it in Houston. I remember how my jaw dropped when Barbara brought this into the Maine show many years ago to have it appraised. I am so happy that you found it and are keeping it alive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Wendy. That's a good description of my reaction as well when I first saw it in a fb quilt history discussion group....jaw dropping! The exhibit will be hanging at the Chicago International Quilt Festival March 27-31. Come on over!

    ReplyDelete