Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Tile" Pattern Doll Quilt


In the last two photos of my last post, I showed you two very different "Tile" quilts.

Below is a close-up of one of the blocks in one of those quilts so that you can see the tiny bits of fabric the quilt maker used. Amazing, isn't it! She laid them out in a design and then button-hole stitched them down to the background, if I rememebr correctly. Tiny, tiny pieces in some cases!

(Click on the photo to enlarge.)

In the process of going through more inherited stuff this past week in my sewing room, I came across a small box which contained scraps of an experimental project.  Because I had just written about the Tile quilt pattern, I got the bright idea of turning these scraps into a Tile Doll Quilt.

Quite frankly, I am not sure if these are remnants from one of my MIL's projects or of someone else's projects that I was given since moving to Lopez. The handwriting on the papers in the box does not look like my MIL's.


I plan to have the finished size be about 17x15.


My AQSG quilt restoration friend Anne Dawson, who also lives here on Lopez, showed me how to adhere the tiny scraps to the background fabric using a tacky material that you press on.  Now I am ready to hand embroider around all the edges.

The two 20-patch squares are about 2 1/4 inches square! This is my "keep my hands busy" project when I am away from my computer or don't have a book in my hands.

The strips of tiny patches are 1 x 2 1/4 inches.

Each 4-Patch is about an inch square.


I am also taking along another doll quilt that I won at a fund raising auction in 2005. It needs quilting and a binding.  It will be interesting to see how much I actually get done on the cruise!  But I know I will need something to keep my hands busy while listening to the music.



These tiny little Nine-Patches are 1 3/8 inch square! 

Below is another even smaller embroidered quilt from the Rainbow Quilt Block Company.  Found this little jewel in May 2006. 



 Dolly Dingle was a favorite from the 1930s.  Just do a search on eBay and you will find all kinds of Dolly Dingle paper dolls. They have even reproduced her in fabric in the past couple of years. I believe these were also from the Rainbow Quilt Designs Company as were the Teddy Bears below.



You can still find all of these patterns today.












Here is another little treat for you from my collection. It is 13x18 inches.



My guess is that the patterns are from the Rainbow Company but I have yet to confirm this by finding them in a catalogue or an ad.  I love the strippy format!






Ah, the search is such fun!

Keep those needles flying!

KarenQuilt


4 comments:

  1. Great information! My favorite quilts are the embroidered baby quilts. They always have so much whimsy and the cuteness factor is so high!
    Patricia :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tile doll quilt is a very interesting idea. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. :) Have a great time on your cruise, and I hope you have time for some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about your doll quilt. I'm sure you'll have fun working on it while you're on the cruise. :) By the way, great information about the super cute Dolly Dingle patterns. Classic patterns but still pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to the Rep from Beginning Quilting! Thank you for stopping by. Read my later post to see what this little quilt actually morphed into WHILE I was woking on it! I found out that quilts can actually talk to you and tell you what THEY want to be! (At least that's my story about why this quilt chagnes and I'm stickin' with it!) ;=) Off today to catch a ferry to present a program to Quilters on the Rock on Whidbey Island!

    ReplyDelete