|Click here to learn more about this book.|
In my previous post on Eagles on Quilts, I wrote about being invited by quilt historian Susan Wildemuth to make a small commissioned quilt.
Being a woman of few words is not one of my strong suits. I like to tell stories so beware!
But first I'll show you my various "auditions" for my layout. The final version that I sent Sue will come toward the end of my cover letter to Sue. It is an honor to have been asked to be a part of this very special project.
|He's not quite square, but by golly, I finally did a Broderie Perse!|
|Click photo to enlarge for reading.|
I did have a little bit of a problem with fraying on the more loosely woven fabric but nothing I couldn't manage. I did not use any fusible material or fabric glue. I simply tacked each piece down and started doing the close buttonhole applique stitch by hand.
I also did a running stitch in black around the eagle to make it stand out more, plus added additional embroidered embellishment on its breast shield, its eye, the leaves in its one claw and the object in its mouth.
|Click to enlarge.|
|This is the fabric that most easily frayed, yet it was still reasonable to deal with.|
The triangles in the borders are all preprinted. Click on the photo below and you will see the tiny green triangles on this particular strip. I did a buttonhole stitch all along the edge of this strip to attach it to the quilt.